Affiliated to Sikkim University, A Central University established by an Act of Parliament of India, 2007.
Approved by GOS, NAAC accredited, Recognised by N.C.T.E. and by the UGC u/s 2(f) of UGC Act 1956
The college offering B.Ed & M.Ed courses is located at Samdur, Tadong, East Sikkim eight kilometers ahead of state capital, Gangtok on NH31A in a very calm and picturesque surrounding.It is connected by road on the National Highway 31A. The nearest railway station New Jalpaiguri is 117 km and nearest Airport, Bagdogra is 120 km from the College.
My mother late Harkamaya Chhetri, left for heavenly abode at the prime of her youth in her 30s.Her effort to provide education to my sisters and her idea not to overlook the daughters’ education encouraged me to establish a college in her name to commemorate her ideal thinking for women education which gave birth to the establishment of Harkamaya College Of Education in the year 2003 under Rhenock Educational Society
It is imparting courses in the field of education and has since graduated several success stories.
It is a college with an institutional objective of qualitative development in the pedagogical sciences of teachers and teacher educators and to provide opportunity for such courses for the locals and students of adjoining areas. With this vision, the management initially started one year B.Ed., programme from the academic session 2003-04 in accordance with the recognition of N.C.T.E vide order No., ERC/7-41(ER-41.5.3)/2004/501 dated Feb 6th 2004. Later after 2 years vide order No. ERC/7.56.11(6)/2005/1480 dt. 12.05.2005 of NCTE and with the approval of the University of North Bengal vide letter No. 1191/R-2006 (3) dt. 25.04.2006, one year M.Ed., course was also started in 2006-07 academic sessions. In 2014, because of introduction of two years course of B.Ed., the NCTE has recognized the course for two basic units, vide letter no. F.ERC/NCTE/ERC APE 00243/B.Ed. (Revised order)/2015/31693. Similarly on account of introduction of two years course of M.Ed. the NCTE has recognized the course for one basic unit vide letter no. F.ERC/NCTE/ERC APE 00465/M.Ed. (Revised order)/2015/31692. This college was declared as a constituent college of NBU up to 2007. After the establishment of Sikkim University, the B.Ed. and M.Ed. courses of this college have come under it w.e.f. 2008-09 academic session. It is NAAC accredited in ‘B’ Grade and is recognize by the UGC u/s 2(f) of UGC act 1956. The college also applied for 12b and the result is still awaited.
Harkamaya College of Education is affiliated to the Sikkim University (A central university passed by an act of Parliament of India, 2007). Further, it is approved by the Government of Sikkim and is recognized by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) which enables the students passing out of this college to get appointment in Central and State Government institutions and also in privately managed institutions all over the country and abroad. It also recognized by UGC 2 (f) and NAAC accredited with B grade. Application is sent for 12 (b).
The Governing Body of the college is constituted by drawing members from Rhenock Educational Society, nominees from Sikkim University, Government of Sikkim, eminent educationists from the state, representatives of faculty and supporting staff of the college in conformity with the instruction of Sikkim University.
List of Management Committee Members / Governing Body members
Dr. H.P. Chhetri (Founder & Director)
Dr. P.L. Mohapatra
Mr. Bhanu Sharma
- To provide knowledge and understanding of pedagogy and skills essential for quality education.
- To help the teachers in understanding the nature of child, i.e. his or her abilities, aptitudes, emotion, instinct, ambition and intelligence etc.
- To assist teachers in understanding principles, techniques, methods, process of teaching and learning.
- To help teachers in organizing, supervising and participating in curricular and co-curricular activities of the schools
- To provide knowledge regarding various teaching aids, print media and electronic media, which are essential to facilitate the teaching and learning process
- To provide a clear understanding of the historical background of Indian education vis-a - vis education system of other countries
- To prepare above all quality teachers who can bring desired change to the Society through educational inputs by realizing their responsibilities to the community
- To encourage academic pursuits on the basis of research & development undertaking various projects.
- Preparation of resourceful and skilled teachers.
- Inculcation of values of citizenship/leadership, integrity, national solidarity and other national values required for being true and responsible citizen of the nation.
- Imparting training in teaching skills and acquainting them with modern trends of education and evaluation system for quality education.
- Making them committed, devoted to the teaching for overhauling the scenario of qualitative improvement.
- Providing knowledge and understanding of pedagogy for assisting the student teachers for effective transaction of teaching-learning.
- Acquainting the student teachers with modern means of educational technology and communication system.